3DS Photography

Went out earlier and I took some pictures on my 3DS… I’m not gonna lie, they’re pretty awful. I find the 3DS camera to be worse than the DSi, I don’t know if that’s a known fact but it just feels like.

At least I get 3D I guess. I also took some images on my phone as a comparison (I didn’t adjust zoom on my 3DS photos as they weren’t great as they were anyways).

Train tracks and various signs on a brick wall

Train tracks and signs pointing out the exit and platform number

Stroud Train Station, Gloucestershire, UK

Dull picture of a bus entering a mini roundabout, with a hill behind

Photo of hill, Stratford Park, Stroud, Gloucestershire, UK

(3DS XL vs Pixel 6 Pro 1/644 f/3.5 ISO 31)

Grainy photo of a bird on a wire

Bird on wire

(3DS XL vs Pixel 6 Pro 1/748 f/3.5 ISO 32)

Low quality image of a fence, alongside various buildings leading up to a hill

View from Stratford Park, Stroud, Gloucestershire, UK

(3DS XL vs Pixel 6 Pro 1/843 f/3.5 ISO 43)

I wish I could get details for what settings my 3DS was actually shooting at and being able to control the ISO and shutter speed. I did have 3D images on which may have impacted the quality.

If anyone wants to share photos from their 3DS here, feel free to do so!

4 Likes

I have a lot, but I have no idea how to do it. I know it has something to do with SD cards, but the one in my 2DS is, well, too (2? Get it it?) small for where an SD card is supposed to fit.

Is it a 2DS XL? You need a micro SD lol

(also how are you on Pretendo forums if you don’t even have an SD in your console???)

Is it a 2DS XL?

A New Nintendo 2DS XL, to give it its full title.

You need a micro SD lol

I THINK I have one?

(also how are you on Pretendo forums if you don’t even have an SD in your console???)

Because I’m waiting until their servers are stable enough to PROPERLY host Pokémon X and Y.

1 Like

I don’t know whether the N2DS XL actually came with SD cards, but my o3DS XL came with a 4GB Lexar SD card (which I replaced with a 64GB Integral SD card).

Huh. Um… ok…
(character limit etc)

I was looking at this thread earlier and realized a couple seconds ago that the 3DS/DS camera is really nostalgic (at least to me and some others, because I had WAAYYY too many memories with that camera.)

1 Like

The photos from the 3ds looks like the 2000s cameras

2 Likes

Not if you adjust the settings!

I just noticed this but Google Photos has a predicted location feature? 3DS doesn’t have GPS and I’m not sure what landmarks it’s detecting though.

I’m guessing it’s using the time I took the photo as it looks very close to where I took the photos on my Pixel.

1 Like

oh I love this idea!

I only have pictures of my friends/family as an interesting ice breaker when I ask to take a photo.

I’ll walk around town and take some comparison photos tomorrow.

2 Likes

Hoping to get some more photos later on this week, going to be away on holiday and I’m going to have no signal anyways so I can’t get distracted.

Should be able to get some nice images to compare, I wanted to do more comparisons earlier this week.

1 Like

Took some pictures today. These are all from Llangrannog in Ceredigion, Wales.

Comparisons between a 3DS XL and Google Pixel 6 Pro (not all images may be like for like, sorry!)

Low quality image of a stream running down a beach with rocks scattered around

1/884 f/1.9 ISO 62 on the Pixel

Low quality image of a cliff overlooking a beach, some people can be seen

1/141 f/3.5 ISO 64 on the Pixel

Low quality image of a group of rocks on a beach along with a cliff

1/755 f/1.9 ISO 56 on the Pixel

Low quality image looking out to the sea with a bird on some rocks along with a faint outline of cliffs further down

1/891 f/1.9 ISO 36 on the Pixel

Hoping I can take some more as it is nice comparing. I think my biggest complaint is how dull the images look from the 3DS, they looked dull last time too.

1 Like

Nice, that’s a really cool comparison!

1 Like

Could you move this to “Off-Topic Stuff?”

Talking about 3DS Photography sounds more of an offline discussion or something to show off for fun than it is related to Pretendo, so merging this with “Off-Topic Stuff” would make more sense.

I don’t personally agree it needs to be in off-topic stuff in my opinion.

@MatthewL246_PNID what do you think? I feel like it would get buried there possibly

1 Like

Could it be possible to “pin” your posts/messages to the top of the topic itself, just like you can pin a topic to the top of a category?

Unfortunately not possible, we could edit the post to link to it but it still seems a bit disorganised

I agree, this would probably get buried there. IMO off-topic stuff is for general chatting, but this topic has a well-defined focus of 3DS photography.

1 Like

Some more photos today! From New Quay (yes it’s two words) in Ceredigion, Wales (remembered to spell it properly this time, you don’t want to see how many times I misspelt Ceredigion).

Again, all of these are comparisons between my 3DS XL and Pixel 6 Pro.

(hope you all don’t mind but there’s no alt text for these since I took a lot and I’ve spent quite a bit of time doing stuff instead of relaxing)

1/792 f/1.9 ISO 45 on the Pixel

1/1019 f/1.9 ISO 49 on the Pixel

1/1099 f/1.9 ISO 62 on the Pixel

1/1038 f/1.9 ISO 54 on the Pixel

1/726 f/1.9 ISO 61 on the Pixel (I seriously don’t know what happened in the 3DS photo)

1/195 f/1.9 ISO 145 on the Pixel

1/478 f/1.9 ISO 40 on the Pixel

1/529 f/1.9 ISO 55 on the Pixel

1/770 f/1.9 ISO 48 on the Pixel

1/803 f/1.9 ISO 43 on the Pixel

1/993 f/1.9 ISO 50 on the Pixel

Woah, that’s a lot of photos. I think I was a bit fairer to my 3DS today by using just the primary 50MP camera instead of the telephoto or ultra wide lens.

Tempted to see whether I could make a YouTube video or something comparing everything.

1 Like