Error code 101-0502

So I am trying to login to Mario Kart 8 online for 2 days in a row and I keep getting error code 101-0502

If you get this error, it means the Wii U failed to connect to the friend list servers.
There is no way around this, as all Wii U and 3DS games need a connection to the friend server before anything else.

The friend list server is pretty flaky and goes down frequently. If the issue persists after waiting an hour or more, either there is server maintenance, or it’s an internet issue.

I am also getting this error. I was able to get around this by using hotspot off my phone instead of wifi on my home network. I am not sure what the difference is though. I even tried different settings on my home network (adding wiiu to dmz, moving it to guest network from primary, changing security settings) nothing seemed to work on home network. As soon as I switched back to mobile hotspot, Mario kart worked. Any ideas?

1 Like

I had a same problem as before my Wi-Fi is connection perfectly fine I don’t know if it server or home network. My home network router are green give me advice.

Also I have problems with DNS settings I get it to work.