Ban Appeals and Open-Sourceness of Discourse

If Discourse is open-source and can be modified, then why couldn’t the Pretendo team modify the base/underlying code of the Pretendo Forums to fix the issue of the public ban appeals?

Yes, they could but frankly, this is out of the scope of Pretendo’s work currently. I was discussing the idea of having automatic error code recognition earlier by a bot (like Bandwidth does in the Discord server) and even that is quite complicated.

Moving your post to General.

I did discuss some solutions with the team in the past, such as messaging a dedicated group, but I believe they could also implement a category where posts are automatically unlisted and nobody can comment except staff and the OP (a bit like how #bulletin-board works on https://devforum.roblox.com).

1 Like

The simple answer is that nobody on the Pretendo dev team knows Ruby, which Discourse is written in, so making a major change to its source code would be quite difficult. Discourse’s plugin API is also very poorly documented.

Group messages seem good to me personally because they are actually private, but no admin has set this up yet.

1 Like

If so, then could I ask someone on Juxt and/or the Pretendo Forums if they have knowledge of how to code in Ruby? If they know how to do it, then we may have an answer. :slightly_smiling_face:
For the second problem, the only solution, however, I could think of is contacting the Discourse people. Otherwise, not much could be done, at least to my knowledge.

As @GamersInternatio said, we will probably choose an alternate solution (like group messages) that is simpler to set up and doesn’t involve forking Discourse.

We don’t want to waste anyone’s time by asking them to write code that we might not end up accepting.

1 Like

I understand. smile_open_mouth

1 Like