About Wii Karaoke U

This game was marked as one of the top priority games when Nintendo Network was still up, but similar to Wii U Chat it had no servers. I’m kind of curious on how it will work, for example using the in-game song catalog or the game will use another one? And another thing, the tickets, the ticket was supposed to connect to the eShop and then buy a ticket similar to Wii Sports Club. Will there be a bypass or instead it’s planned to buy a song ticket?

I never realised it was top priority, it was recently discussed on the forums but I thought it was unlikely since it used Joysounds catalog of music?

Highly likely there will be a bypass though :+1:

To clarify, this “high priority” label was just for getting network dumps for games that did unique things with online features not seen in other games. It does not mean anything for the priority of games getting servers on Pretendo.

1 Like

I really hope they find a work around to this. How many other games let you dress up your mii in a princess outfit and sing Telephone by Lady Gaga? NONE.

Wouldn’t using the sound catalog without the permission of the artists and record labels be considered an act of piracy?

If that happens, I guess we are going have to provide our own, non-piracy catalogue, or at-least make up the songs ourselves…

3 Likes

i mean, it didnt use the actual like, song

it was a cover

I did some research into how the game works, it requests a token, once it gets a token, it requests a PHP server (why?) that returns blob data that apparently is the song catalog.

Judging by this error i got.

Trace did some research into this too and i think he partially reimplemented the endpoint, tho i dont think he tested it, we also know Imora had dumps of the japanese version of the game…

3 Likes

What happened to the dumps? Were they important?

The dumps are stored in a private channel that only a few devs can access for privacy reasons, and they’ll be used when a dev starts working on a server for Wii Karaoke U.

3 Likes

What? How do you have 5.5.6 E? I thought that version was USA only?

2 Likes

Wii karaoke U IS useless now a days as its depends on The online i tried playing one of The songs and It said to Connect to Nintendo Network and It IS down and if i would of Connect to pretendo same as It dosent support it

1 Like

Just had a conversation with Jon about this and it seems unlikely.

Pretendo might not be able to do anything as they don’t want to mess with copyright and that makes it very difficult to try and support.

I think i have that same versión too It may be like a bug or something like that or he has a USA console and changes The U for E as peru IS in USA not in Europe let me know if im wrong

About the copyright issues, Wii Karaoke U used covers except for anime or Vocaloid songs, I don’t know if the anime songs like the Evangelion, High School Of The Dead and Doreamon openings are copyright protected but the Vocaloid songs which in the european version are two “Miku Miku ni shite ageru!” by ika_mo and “Happy Synthesizer” by EasyPop, these aren’t copyright free but I think the artists allow distribution and covers since they also distribute for free the song and it’s instrumental version as long as they are credited.

The other songs which are covers I don’t know if they also have copyright, the game tells that the songs were rerecorded.

1 Like

Wii Karaoke U also required passes from what I know, it might be a bit iffy with that. If Jon says it’s infeasible, I wouldn’t get your hopes up for it.

I would be interested to know about Wii Sports Club too.

1 Like

Covers ≠ not copyrighted. A cover of a song is still copyright protected, it doesn’t matter if it’s the original or not. And we can’t distribute things we don’t have the rights for

Yes, the openings to anime’s are very much copyright protected (why wouldn’t they be). Especially given that a LOT of anime openings are just regular songs, they aren’t always made specifically for the anime

I can’t find anything online regarding the licenses granted by the copyright holders for either みくみくにしてあげる or ハッピーシンセサイザ, especially nothing that says it’s legal to distrubute the song with ONLY credit. The closest I could find was Miku Miku ni Shite Ageru (song by Hatsune Miku) / Hatsune Miku / VOCALOID - Otapedia | Tokyo Otaku Mode which states that みくみくにしてあげる had issues concering it’s copyright and licensing rights in the late 2000s and sometime in/after 2008 it was updated so covers could be made, but it makes no mention of the distribution rights of the original song and as already stated covers of songs are still protected by copyright and are subject to their own licensing rights

3 Likes

Okay, this might be the stupidest question, but…

Could we make a Pretendo Song Showcase? The songs would be user-generated content from Pretendo users. That way, all of the songs featured in the showcase could thus be put in a potential Wii Karaoke U revival by the Network afterwards?

2 Likes

Oh, I didn’t know covers we’re also copyrighted,that makes since the music doesn’t change, but it’s still strange since isn’t the original singer.

Really? I didn’t that Miku Miku ni Shite Agery had distribution issues when it released, I didn’t do enough research…
Anyways, thanks for letting it know! If it can’t be revived it’s sad, but better this than going through a copyright issue

Actually that doesn’t sound like a bad idea, that could be fun to do and let like Pretendo artists make their own songs if they can, that would be so cool for talented people!

That and there may be some musician out there that is willing to have their music used in Wii Karaoke U.

1 Like